Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Center Console, What to do ???
mx68u
Admin
Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Car Profile: Available
  Posted:Jan 23 2003, 10:09 PM
I dont know what mazda were thinking with they designed the center console on our cars. The stereo area is actually a couple of centimeter's bigger than a single DIN.. so of course i have an aftermarket clarion deck in and an aweful damn gap which is a hassle to cover up...

Show us wat you did to yours, i came across 2Rusty's great gauge setup, i'll probably do something like that with an air/fuel, egt and perhaps volt or oil pressure gauge...

user posted image

as you can see looks pretty damn neat.. any1 else came up with something different... i was going to get a led air/fuel meter and hook it up on a panel but after the install i wasnt happy so i pulled it out... bleh anywayz.. show us what you've done smile.gif

btw 2Rusty.. how long did that take you? i pressume putting the sender wires thru the firewall would of been a pain dry.gif i had to pull out the grommet to make the hole bigger smile.gif how did you attach the panel?

2Rusty
Occasional Poster
Group: Members
Member No.: 114
Posted:Jan 24 2003, 04:47 AM
mellow.gif Now I am embarrassed because the backing for those gauges in that pic is actually just temporarily pinched in there. It was a bad install to begin with that I always meant to do a little more professionally. It did look better but when I installed the new stereo I had to tear it out and right now I'm waiting for some new center console parts before I jump back on the project.

Glad you like it anyway. I like the gauges there because they almost have a stock appearance like in a BMW Z3. You are right, the center console is a little strange because of the double din stereo and other garbage that came stock. You should not have to deal with a gaping hole, however. There's a very simple aftermarket stereo install kit for these cars which covers it up with a blank panel. Still the negative space that left is what prompted me to put in some gauges there.

Going through the firewall wasn't too big of a deal. I stuck my head underneath the dash and saw a hole where sunlight was coming through so I just used that and fortunately it was big enough.

--------------------
1992 MX-6 GT turbo

Peaknhard
Civic Type-R
Group: Banned
Member No.: 6
Posted:Jan 24 2003, 05:59 PM
2 rusty...nice leg there lol jk

frank i cant even remember seeing a gap in urs....i must be really stoned whenever im in ur car lol

--------------------
"Peaknhard Bro, PEAKnhard"

Rodhog
Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19
Posted:Feb 4 2003, 11:16 PM
Well I had the full factory unit with Graphic Equalizer and Ihad to use a double DIN unit with tape DVD control and single CD player to fill it up but it still left a small area of about 1 cm in space then I used a boost quage and stuff now I am waiting to get something new to fill it up with.

--------------------
Winning is Winning
Fair or not
Perform on the Day
It's wasn't Me

RODHOG PROFILE

machine1515
Member No.: 1072
Posted:Mar 7 2004, 11:50 AM
how about this? its the crutchfield install kit for the cd player with the Blitz DTT and air/fuel guage and boost guage from a mustang saleen.

Attached Image

Attached Image

2Rusty
Occasional Poster
Member No.: 114
Posted:Mar 27 2004, 03:41 PM
machine, just curious how you had that metal backing plate made. I would like to do something like that only black in color.

--------------------
1992 MX-6 GT turbo

machine1515
Member No.: 1072
Posted:Mar 27 2004, 11:44 PM
I made that cover out of the original cup that was there(sun glasses holder) and a sheet of aluminum. First i cut a hole in the plastic cup for the wires to run out the back, then cut 2 holes in the uluminum for the guages and 4 screw holes. I lined the aluminum up with the cup to get the correct placement and then drilled 4 pilot holes for the screws. The screws are from what you would see in a bathroom in say a retail store(very cheap but look great) After that i brushed the aluminum and clipped it in. thats all

beejay85
Member No.: 1336
Posted:May 11 2004, 11:06 AM
ok i know i might sound like a newb but ignore that, i recently bought a 1st gen mx6 turbo, and am having difficulty removing the center console so i can install my headset, are there any tricks to removing the console??

any help would b great

curringa
Member No.: 1358
Posted:May 20 2004, 11:05 AM
my standars 1 is fine, i will try to get a pic for ya's soon but it's just this big plastic square and the cd player fits nicely above it.

Elanzer
Member No.: 2828
Posted:Mar 6 2005, 12:37 AM
user posted image
this is how mine was... and all other up here in norway got that litle plate above the player, and the player fits perfectly there... its orginal stuff up here cool.gif
user posted image

--------------------
Coming to you live from norway...

-mazda 626 GD 2.0 12v carb my project car
and some smaler motorbikes...

djstx5
Member No.: 2615
Posted:Aug 14 2005, 11:35 PM
Well mine isn't as creative as the others but thought I would throw it up anyway, the holey metal came with the headunit so I used it to give a bit better support to the unit and bought the little headunit sized neon when I was getting some speaker cable, I'll come up with something better eventually. But for now...

user posted image

user posted image

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
12 replies since Jan 23 2003, 10:09 PM

<< Back to General Discussion