Valve Cover Coating, suggestions?
mx68u
Admin
Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Car Profile: Available
Posted:May 25 2003, 04:52 PM
Hey Guys,

Well im going to be replacing my valve cover gasket first thing tomorrow and im thinking of getting the valve cover powder coated but am a little stuck as with what colour might look good with the rest of the engine bay so please feel free to make any recommendations icon4.gif

Heres a red version:
user posted image

Black:
user posted image

Im also maybe think a nice glossy white... heres a pic of my engine bay in its current form, let me know what you guys think smile.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

mx68u
Admin
Posted:May 26 2003, 01:04 PM
thanks for all the top suggestions guys rolleyes.gif icon4.gif

I've decided on a gunmetal gray with a mildly lighter grey flakes, it looks unreal on paper, should look quiet well when its on the engine. Unfortunately its going to take them 3 bloody days to source the paint and do the work but it should be worth it in the end smile.gif

Will post pics when its all done cool.gif

EvilChief
The Evil One
Group: ATFC Moderator
Member No.: 146
Posted:May 26 2003, 01:14 PM
sweet ...

should have posted pics of my new painted stuff but i forgot ... sorry

--------------------
WHOHOO ... got my opens today ... as much as it would matter to me anyway
... and 96 in the ash tray!

mx68u
Admin
Posted:May 26 2003, 03:39 PM
you got some engine bits powdercoated hey evil?

i rang up a few places for prices, first place was a shocking $80 for a basic paint including sandblasting, then the next to were around $30 - 40... Im going to end up paying $50 for this job but the paint selection was incredible and as long as they do a good job i have no issue with the additional outlay, how much were you quoted?

Rodhog
Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19
Posted:May 26 2003, 05:40 PM
Should come out okay

I would go White or chrome/polished on mine my self

I like the black, I likehow the mazda and 12valve are still in the original alloy
it looks factory comapred with the red one

I see you have added some head wrap to the manifold bro looks good.

A friend recently bought some stainless steel for his manifold to use as a heat sheild. came out okay just shaping it as he used extremmly thick and heavy metal and not a nice thin easy to work with one. ( YOu know who did the cutting and shaping for him wacko.gif )

--------------------
Winning is Winning
Fair or not
Perform on the Day
It's wasn't Me

RODHOG PROFILE

EvilChief
The Evil One
Posted:May 26 2003, 05:47 PM
lol mx ... some parts? the whole engine wink.gif
http://www.pbase.com/evilchief/enginerebuild here we are ...

BTW not powder coated just spray painted ... does the same job for me

--------------------

mx68u
Admin
Posted:May 26 2003, 06:35 PM
Thanks rod, yeah i would go white on your car too, might leave the alloy look on the mazda and 12 valve writing, will also experiment with red.. see which i like better. I plan on getting a stainless heat shield as well, know of a decent place to source some thin stainless? screw micks for a joke icon4.gif

jesus evil.. maybe i should of just sprayed it... thats looks great.. didnt realise it would come out as glossy as that smile.gif although hopefully the valve cover will look similiar to the colour chart.. if it does it should look better than any paint coz of its texture biggrin.gif

EvilChief
The Evil One
Posted:May 26 2003, 10:51 PM
screw micks for a joke smile.gif < screw what?

--------------------

mx68u
Admin
Posted:May 27 2003, 09:29 AM
i was in reference to sheet metal suppliers smile.gif

mick's metalcraft.. since i saw his interview on a serious performance video i wouldnt give that guy any business, he know's fuck all and is just there to capitalise on poor newbie performance bug victims...

these end tanks aren't as efficient because they dont disipate cold air as well
laugh.gif

and another thing... he goes on to say trucks intercoolers are shit because the engines only rev to 5000 - 6000 rpm... what a crock of shit.. like that has any effect on its cooling properties.. if anything its the displacement of the engine and the design of the core to cool the air thats running more quickly thru it... just a lost cunt imho

redneckmx6
I see you...
Member No.: 133
Posted:May 27 2003, 10:38 PM
QUOTE (mx68u @ May 26 2003, 03:29 PM)

and another thing... he goes on to say trucks intercoolers are shit because the engines only rev to 5000 - 6000 rpm... what a crock of shit.. like that has any effect on its cooling properties..

Well, you do have a truck motor....so what's the problem? wink.gif

J/K icon4.gif

Yeah my truck intercooler on my car is so bad I watched my IAT drop up to 30 degrees

--------------------
Yes it's a turbocharged FE3, (soon on the bottle) and NO you can't drive it
WARNING: Does not play well with others (it seems others have a problem with losing)
My Beast
posted by 90tx5
cheers
you r like the car god on this forum

mx68u
Admin
Posted:May 28 2003, 08:11 AM
lol those shit truck cores red... bloody useless smile.gif

cant wait for my NPR icon4.gif

Rodhog
Member No.: 19
Posted:May 30 2003, 09:39 PM
Been away boys but back with new machine( PC machine that is it's now got twin turbo charges and burns DVD's as my mate monaro does rubber)

As for anything like intercoolers

I recomend PWR, the best price you cna get them is from TCR (I think thats the place) in Lakemba very good prices and very good work, in fact from my understanding PWR makes all the stuff for mick's ? SO there plus a hell of a lot cheaper.

If oyu in sydney and want the address PM and I will let you know. Trust me these are no cut doens cores and worth the price from $600-who knows but approx $600 will give you somthing a mx-6 has stock slightly bigger overall but possibley thincker shnnier and very good.
There alloy radiators are best value I ahve found, if you know how big a HQ onward kingswood V8 has in terms of a radiator try one fully alloy 5 core not 3 core for around 700-900.

--------------------
Winning is Winning
Fair or not
Perform on the Day
It's wasn't Me

RODHOG PROFILE

mx68u
Admin
Posted:May 31 2003, 04:12 PM
wb rod, twin turbo sounds good biggrin.gif I've also heard about pwr cores used but micks as a matter of fact, well it sounds familiar anywayz.. have u seen redneckmx6's truck core rod? looks like a good core, apparently not much of a pressure drop and heaps cooler intake temps going by his testing compared to the stock core.. would be sweet if i could score one for a couple of hundred.. end tanks arent too big either!! :thumbsup:

back to the valve cover...

all seems to have gone well atm.. cant say for sure coz i've only done a few kays, at least there isnt a sign of oil leaking any more biggrin.gif

will have pics as soon as i get a hold of a digicam (couple of days) the colour is a lil off charcoal grey.. closer to a blueish gray but still looks great.. just need to get the red 12 valve and mazda writing going biggrin.gif

mx68u
Admin
Posted:Jun 8 2003, 04:04 PM
well here are the pics of the rocker cover after powder coating biggrin.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

mx68u
Admin
Posted:Jun 8 2003, 04:06 PM
side:

Attached Image

Attached Image

mx68u
Admin
Posted:Jun 8 2003, 05:51 PM
just have to paint the 12valve and mazda writing red and it'll be finished smile.gif

then ofcourse maybe the trottle body and intake manifold after some porting icon4.gif

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
22 replies since May 25 2003, 04:52 PM
Pages: (2) [1] 2 
<< Back to General Discussion