Pages: (2) [1] 2  
Power Chips?, sugestions
90tx5
Occasional Poster
Group: Members
Member No.: 142
Car Profile: Available
Posted:Apr 28 2003, 01:25 AM
i was thinking of maybe putting a chip on my car. i was thinking maybe a chiptorqe chip but i don't know?

what do use think?

--------------------
the f2t is a powerfull engine, but only to those who can handle the power!

mx68u
Admin
Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Posted:Apr 28 2003, 11:33 AM
ok first of all you need to figure out how far you want to go with the tx5, how much hp are you after? and what type of quarter mile times?

if the answer is a car you can drive around the streets of townsville beating just about everything on the road then a chip or piggy back system are great options, if your after a quick as in quickest in oz fwd or something then you will need an aftermarket computer for sure...

give us an idea of what your after... further more if your actually considering a "powerchip" ecu mod then you should really look at 2 interviews conducted by autospeed with powerchip's head honcho and "expert" Wayne Besanko.

part 1
part 2

also might as well have a read of the other mentioned manufacturer chiptorque.

part 1
part 2

the only thing i find useful about powerchip is their website and its factory output figures for most production cars, and of course their humerous claims. laugh.gif

90tx5
Occasional Poster
Posted:Apr 28 2003, 11:58 PM
cheers hey

i want to get mid 13's maybe, so a chip seems like a good option

--------------------

on boost
Member No.: 183
Posted:Apr 29 2003, 10:10 AM
You won't get much gain just doing a chip. You would be better off getting a intercooler and maybe bigger turbo before the chip.

90tx5
Occasional Poster
Posted:Apr 29 2003, 11:43 PM
yeah i was, i am getting mendos old after market gtr intercooler ( but will have to fix it, and getting piping to!! wink.gif

and maybe some cheap wide rims

--------------------

Rodhog
Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19
Posted:Apr 30 2003, 09:42 PM
Well Depedning on the Car
chips are great for most cars.

Some cars are well tuned
but the hidden horsepower from some Cars in paticular turbo cars is great.

Most Factory turbo cars just increase fuel to an overloaded rich point stopping you creating power. Other cars on the other hand need, it to over come saftey features and help muild up-grades.

In my experience a ECU or Chip is the best mod you can do on any turbo car after an exhaust.
Exhaust's an chips in msot cases provide the best. Intercoolers, really jsut depend on the desired outcome.
alot of cars out there have intercoolers so big they do nothing more then look good. when a correctly set-up sized intercooler and ECU tuned correctly will create the most HP.
Of course some cars do come out with under-sized intercoolers or badly positioned.

I like the unichip, for it's ability for easy of retuning ( easy when you have about 6 tuning shops authorized near by).

I think ECU's are an area most people either over-do or under do.
EG:
Factory turbo car = fitting a complete ECU when the mild mods only needed a chip or piggyback
Complete new build or add-ed turbo= Using a piggy-back or fuel only ECU.

It's quite weird why you see, this but it does happen quite often.
I have seen some real good results and most of then cars you will never see in magazine's just wonder what they have under the hood.

As for the qoute of not much from a chip and intercooler is better
WRONG
Intercooler's on 80% of most factory turbo cars, delivered into Australia benifit greatly from some form of an aftermarket CHip or ECU.
you can't gain 10-20Kw's at the front wheels form a chip yes it's added boost but you can't get it without it. Same for a WRX or RS liberty
200SX's with out any other mods you can regain the 40Kw's form the flywheel missing from the aus delivered cars.

--------------------
Winning is Winning
Fair or not
Perform on the Day
It's wasn't Me

RODHOG PROFILE

90tx5
Occasional Poster
Posted:May 1 2003, 12:24 PM
cheers!
i was also wondering what the stnd ft2 intercooler would be good for (hp)

i have a 3' exhaust, cold air induction, and 10psi. i am planning on putting some bigger piping in but i will only do this when i get my cooler??????
thats y i want to know if the stnd intercooler will be good for what i am acheiving i will prolly go as far as 130-140kw atw

wil stnd intercooler handle this??

--------------------

mx68u
Admin
Posted:May 1 2003, 11:38 PM
standard intercooler is shit for any pressure above 14 psi, not efficient enough cause a 3 pound drop of pressure from turbo to trottlebody thumbdown.gif

for under that pressure tho.. decent enough... if you go aftermarket turbo then well you should upgrade the ic anywayz but it probably wont be necessary below 12 pounds...

so it depends mainly on the turbo ur using and pounds you plan on running, with the stocker turbo your looking at around 14psi which is about 180 flywheel hp, basically anything above 200hp and an ic will give you a great gain... anywhere below that i will consider it a good gain icon4.gif

135kw at the wheels is about 180hp @ wheels which is approx 210 flywheel hp so yeah you should really change it, it will give you a good gain depending on the pressure your running...

wait till you score your ic before you plan any piping... maybe one of dem NPR coolers are the way to go.. when i find some cash ill be looking in that direction for sure smile.gif

btw any1 priced a mx6 turbo ic... im sure quite a few of the 1.3ltr owners out there would be happy scoring one... should be able to score a couple of hundred surely?

SABBAi
Regular Poster
Member No.: 918
Posted:Feb 11 2004, 10:38 AM
Would an aftermarket chip help with over boosting on the factory ECU?

tx_magic
Member No.: 1962
Posted:Aug 26 2004, 02:47 AM
i was thinking of getting a chip aswell for my tx5 turbo and i also wanted to know what company to go with????? is there any difference between the companys??? and whats involved ??

mx68u
Admin
Posted:Aug 26 2004, 08:13 PM
quite a bit, most i've ever had is a chiptorque chip installed which is just enabled the guys at the workshop to plug into it and alter ignition and fuel maps so they can tune the car.

if you go for a full aftermarket system its alot more involved, all the sensors relating to engine management have to be changed over to that of the new computer along with all the wiring, then once you manage to get it start it needs to be thrown on the dyno for a few hours to tune the thing. Ultimately its the best setup if speed is your ultimately goal, keep in mind though you will loose all those nice little features that mazda initially equipped which makes the car feel and drive like.. well a mazda... air cond, cold start and a series of others..

there is another solution like what rod outlined, an interceptor device, its a separate computer where you splice all the outputs into the cars existing wiring, then the system either increases or decreases the voltage and cons the factory computer into doing what it wants too.

all chips, piggybacks and aftermarket ecu's will either lift or completely remove fuel cut caused by a sensor that activates it at 11.9' pounds of pressure

hth

frank

tx_magic
Posted:Aug 27 2004, 12:31 PM
but how about unichip they the same as chiptorque??? and how much u pay to get ur chip installed??

mx68u
Admin
Posted:Aug 27 2004, 01:40 PM
look at the 1st paragraph for chiptorque

3rd for unichip

unichip is a little more expensive but you have the additional advantage of pulling it off, keeping it and returning the car back to stock if you need too.

both need real time tuning where as the powerchip and woo's chip the maps are preset which means if the condition of your pump, injectors, driving conditions, etc aren't the exact same as the car that the chip was designed on its not going to work as good as it could...

tx_magic
Posted:Aug 27 2004, 11:08 PM
how much u pay to get your one done for???? coz i wanna get it done asap

zorb_rules
Forum Junkie
Member No.: 1812
Posted:Aug 28 2004, 05:59 AM
Hey dude this is just from memory but umm if ya wanna go cheap and good performance for price Woo's cheap is about 150 and chip torque and power chip are up around the 700-900 mark. HEy while were talking chips what else do u people know about woo's?? Am I worth gettin it done??

tx_magic
Posted:Aug 28 2004, 12:21 PM
whats involved with woo's chip???

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
19 replies since Apr 28 2003, 01:25 AM
Pages: (2) [1] 2 
<< Back to General Discussion