Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Information, Mods
spawns20v
Group: Members
Member No.: 3210
Posted:May 27 2005, 04:10 AM
Hi all I am new here.
from sunny South Africa biggrin.gif

We have several 4age 20 valve blacktop engines.
We want to start modifying these engines, however the tuners
here say that this engine cannot be modified shutup.gif

I say bulldust.

We are looking at normally aspirated first and maybe later the turbo
charged route.

Guys please assist from the very basics, like xhaust with the pipe dimensions

Thanx in advance biggrin.gif wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image
6 Speed RXI

Bently
Member No.: 2514
Car Profile: Available
Posted:May 30 2005, 06:36 PM
Yeah they can be modified. We have supercharged them so if I were you I would go tune somewhere else with an answer like that lol.

Skena
Member No.: 2499
Car Profile: Available
Posted:May 30 2005, 07:43 PM
Hey, these engines can be modified, they really aren't that hard. You say you have a few of the motors, that doesn't tell me much, are they front cuts, and what is still bolted to them??

I work as a mechanic for toyota, and we have one customer who with minimal mod's, got a 14.7 down the quarter mile, which may not sound like much, but for a street trim 1.6 without a turbo, its a fair acheivement.

Unless you are chasing serious horsepower, leave the facotry extracotrs, more often than not you lose power changing these. From the extracotrs back, run anything up to a 2.25inch exhaust, any bigger and you begin to lose power.

This guy had the head ported and port matched, running TRD camshafts (available through toyota Japan). He ran a K&N air filter in the facotry box, and left the quad throttle bodies for quick throttle response. The ECU will need to be re programmed or chipped, both are possible with this ECU.

If you have a front cut, you may be lucky enough to have the 5 speed that came with these engines, but don't fret if you don't, its jsut the ratio's are different, and are more suited to this engine. The gearbox that came with this motor had a LSD with 3.9 diff ratio, which you can fit, and it helps with acceleration. These cars beneifit from a lightened flywheel and stronger clutch.

You shouldn't need to crack these motors open, as they have high compression pistons, and balanced internals from the factory.

A word of warning though, if you plan on turbocharging these engines, you will need to change the pistons, unless you plan on a high compression/low boost setup (6psi or lower, even with intercooler) and i suggest removing the quad throttle setup in exchange for a extruded honed 16 valve inlet, as turbo setup's are hard to tune with the quad throttles (especially if you tuners now think that they are untunable)

--------------------
Bullshitters can take a walk, let your car do the talking, not your mouth.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
4 replies since May 27 2005, 04:10 AM

<< Back to General Discussion