Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Mx6 Misfire
froste
Group: Members
Member No.: 3634
Posted:Sep 15 2005, 12:49 PM
Hi
Can anyone help me? I am looking at buying a 93 Mazda MX6 from out of state, the guy has told me that he replaced the spark plugs and the high tension leads and that fixed a miss for a few weeks. Unfortunately that problem has come back although it is still driveable the missing gets annoying. The guy selling it has been told it is most probably the distributor cap, or distributor

What do you guys reckon? I am flying up early next week to buy the car so anything I should look for or whatever would be appreciated.

Cheers
Froste

Skena
Member No.: 2499
Car Profile: Available
Posted:Sep 16 2005, 06:34 AM
Be very very carful. You have to be very sure that it is a miss, and not a knock in the engine, as they are two similar sounding sounds to the untrained ear, but mean very differen't things. Do you know how many kays the car has done and whether has lived a hard life and been serviced well ?? They particular cars with hard driving, iregular servicing and higher kays develop a knock in the engine. This is usually the time to decide whether you sell it off to some poor sucker, or whether you keep it and change engine (in Australia, these engines are not cheap, so you usually import the jap turbo motor instead)

It may actually be a misfire, in which case get the distributor reground, and regraphed, and get a good performance coil. Also cheack that the spark plugs fitted are in the right heat range, and that the leads are not too thin. Beware if he is selling the car super cheap and you can't seem to work out why, it may be a knock and not a miss.

Anyone feel free to agree/disagree or add to what i ahve said.

--------------------
Bullshitters can take a walk, let your car do the talking, not your mouth.

froste
Posted:Sep 16 2005, 09:25 AM
Hi,
Thanks for that. The car has 97,000kms on it and the guy says it has been regularly serviced.
Just seemed a little odd that the miss went away when he replalced the spark plugs and leads and then came back. But I think I will risk it anyway, the guy is having it checked over by a mechanic so I will get a written report on what its real condition is.

Cheers
Froste

zorb_rules
Forum Junkie
Member No.: 1812
Posted:Sep 16 2005, 03:38 PM
Only problem with a written report by his mechanic is it could have been doctored any which way to make the car sound fine..this has happened to me on a few occasions where by the guy has none a mechanic and gotten a dodgey report..always ask for a second opinion from a mechanic you know or another 3rd party mechanic neither of you know.

HGPV
Member No.: 3631
Posted:Sep 18 2005, 09:20 PM
Sounds like a lean misfire
it's v.difficult to tell of course but the fact that new leads & plug temporarily overcome
the problem indicates it may be running lean. prob could be anything, 02 sensor, injector , trottle pos sensor good luck

froste
Posted:Sep 23 2005, 10:17 AM
Hi Again
Well I got the car, and it goes quite well. Doesnt seem like a miss to me, its more of a stutter when you put the accelerator down with a bit of force - the car lurches a bit and stutters. Its worse in 4th gear than other gears.
Any ideas what I should look for? Am going to get an injector clean and see if that helps.

Cheers
Froste

Skena
Member No.: 2499
Posted:Sep 24 2005, 11:10 AM
Stutters a bit under acceleration? Sounds to me like the clutch is slipping a bit there. If it the clutch, you'll feel the shudder through the car a bit and also through the clutch pedal.

--------------------
Bullshitters can take a walk, let your car do the talking, not your mouth.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
8 replies since Sep 15 2005, 12:49 PM

<< Back to General Discussion