Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Rating of Brake Upgrades ...
Rating of this topic is 4.6666666666667 by 6 raters. Guests cannot rate topics.

Brake Upgrades ..., Fast driving ... fast braking!
EvilChief
The Evil One
Group: ATFC Moderator
Member No.: 146
Car Profile: Available
Posted:Mar 28 2003, 03:07 PM
Going fast is one thing .... braking fast is another ...

I always see everyone upgrading the performance of the car ... but what about brakes?
Well to a certain amount its fine, but maybe the next time your brakes are up for a major upgrade you might consider using high performance parts.

However my brakes were due for a complete replacement and after running around and doing a bit of research.
I have decided to use DBA slottered barkes for the front and DBA crossdrilled for the rear. Bendix Premiums were chosen as brakepads. Since these Rotors cannot be machined like standard ones it is important to use softcompounf brake pads, which require more frequent replacing, but dont eat through your rotors.

The advantage of these new rotors are that the solottered ones are made of a harder compound and the slots wear dirt and brake dust to the outside instead of being stuck between rotor and brakepad which can destroy either rotor or pad. The rear ones are crossdrilles with slots, which like the slottered ones, remove the dirt between pad and rotor, but are more effectively cooled. Disadvantage is the crossdrilled rotors are made of a slidely softer compound, which means soft compound brake pads are a MUST.

Since they have been fitted today i gotta drive easy for the next 500Km but hey it will at least help my fuel economy also!

Now you probably think that performance brakes are $$$$, well brakes in general aren't cheap after all, but this upgrade cost me $150 more compared to the STD setup, which i think is a good investment ($850 fitted)... (I probably got a sweet deal anyway)

This post has been edited by Brandon696 on Jul 10 2003, 06:38 AM

--------------------
WHOHOO ... got my opens today ... as much as it would matter to me anyway
... and 96 in the ash tray!

Rodhog
Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19
Posted:Mar 28 2003, 10:07 PM
GOOD POINT AN IDEA

one thing to note is when a car is under braked over all
fancy discs don't do the job
You need more surface area bigger discs and multipsiton /larger calipers

but for a value for money upgrade Aftermarket discs are a great upgrade

--------------------
Winning is Winning
Fair or not
Perform on the Day
It's wasn't Me

RODHOG PROFILE

Rolla Boy
Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Posted:Jul 27 2003, 04:53 PM
I'd just like to point out that DBA Rotors can be machined but they just have to take more care of them whilst machining them...

Your best bet if they ever need to be machined is to contact DBA as they would know how to do it better than any other shop can...

--------------------
Ben
1989 Toyota Corolla SX Hatch - Orange
1990 Toyota Corolla SX Hatch - Red

Rodhog
Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19
Posted:Jul 28 2003, 04:06 PM
On top of that it's best to start with a stock disc untouched either factory or DBA
then after it's machined you can have it slotted or X drilled if needed.

--------------------
Winning is Winning
Fair or not
Perform on the Day
It's wasn't Me

RODHOG PROFILE

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
5 replies since Mar 28 2003, 03:07 PM

<< Back to Performance Modifications