Pages: (2) [1] 2  
Nsw Cop Cars
mx68u
Admin
Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Car Profile: Available
  Posted:Mar 25 2003, 01:36 PM
well its been alleged over the years by various mates of mine that the good old standard issue holden commo's and fords, etc dont come in such a standard form..

i remember driving a vt undercover 5.7 ls1 cop car during my days at the hotel inter-continental (car park valet) playing with the flashing lights whilst having a convo to a work associate as we descended down to the very bottom of the carpark just for a "lap". Anywayz the discussion was based on the kw output and the aftermarket "modz" that apparently these cars have since they are used by NSW police. I remember that standard these car generally have what 250kw's? and this guy told me that the coppers version are more like 315kw as they have aftermarket work done to them. I do remember hearing from a couple of sources that the coppers actually have "chips" installed as well as other things, now arent these actually illegal (unless they can manage to still pass emissions?) to have installed?

so has any1 heard about these modz? or are they just completely standard?

EvilChief
The Evil One
Group: ATFC Moderator
Member No.: 146
Posted:Mar 25 2003, 01:44 PM
chips ... yes

any aftermarket stuff ... no
i even doubt that they bother about air intake and other stuff.

and 315kW isa little over the top ... i rekon ...

but hey what do i know ...

--------------------
WHOHOO ... got my opens today ... as much as it would matter to me anyway
... and 96 in the ash tray!

mx68u
Admin
Posted:Mar 25 2003, 01:47 PM
so i suppose the chip's would be legal if they passed emissions then... cant believe they target ppl with modified cars when they themselves have them... bleh

EvilChief
The Evil One
Posted:Mar 25 2003, 01:53 PM
pretty much ... aslo i dont belive that aftermarket chips alter the emission output much, otehr mods such as exhaust have a bigger impact on that. I think why they seem to be illegal is because they might cause ECU failure if not installed or programmed properly ...

--------------------

Rodhog
Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19
Posted:Mar 25 2003, 03:30 PM
IT's all changed
TRUST ME
I use to soem what borrow left overs from smashed cop cars from when they were being rebuilt to written off to being sold at auction

Bakc in the day COP cars were jsut Executive models alround
Then for Highway patrol use they brought in Highway packs in fact there was a VK 5000 or somtihng that had soem big mods to it, a Brokcy police pack I think they called it.

But lets look AT EFI cars when the VN holden came in SS's were not used by the police
They did mods to the cars Yes a Chip which was re-written for excelleration and peck perfromance or in other terms a HSV chip 200Kw motor in other terms, Exhuasts were only modded in the extractors the rest was stock V8 affair.
Soem older cars of VN's were specials they were used by unmarked and executive officers i nthe force. These were Executive V8 VN's-VS (ONLY Holden) these had the following
Exterior nothing just SS model suspension setup
Interior had Belina interior but without the full stereo , no rear speakers
All auto's turbo 700's
How to tell one othere then the hole i nthe back of the tray were the CB went it's hard becuase they filled the rest of the holes in those days unlike now the just leave them.

NEW COPS cars STOCK -STOCK STOCK
All Highway patrol are given SS or XR FORDs - mods none

How do I know for sure
first they stopped the how modding when the VT came plus new contracts were written, along with in 93 when toyota and mistubishi were given contracts to provide undercover and other police cars. Some are ordered for Udnercover Highway work and are fitted with SPorts ratted suspension which you can option your self.

Plus I have seen a former Cop VT S2 GEN 3 race a family bought VT S2 which only had 30,000 compared with the then 45,000 on the ex-cop car, in a drag nothing in it. Neck and neck all the way.
What oyu may find is the COp car being in the hands of the police has had soem hard Kay's on it.

THe police have not hadd moded Highway cars for a long time due to the fact that it's not cost worthy anymore.

--------------------
Winning is Winning
Fair or not
Perform on the Day
It's wasn't Me

RODHOG PROFILE

timtx5
Group: Members
Member No.: 143
Posted:Mar 27 2003, 08:05 AM
There is some bloke up here that has an ex-police TX5 turbo of all things. Says the ECU is slightly different apparently, but I dont really know much detail. Will have to ask him if I see him around sometime. Works for Queensland transport.

Fake_HDT
Member No.: 128
Posted:Mar 27 2003, 02:43 PM
i've got an ex cop car! BT1 VL commodore!!! its a standard SL model - so bottom of the range but...................... its got LSD, FE2 suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, a tough Auto an d a 304 thats been going strong since '86 so they did something to it! w00t.gif

--------------------
Please can you stop the noise i'm trying to get some rest, from all the unbornchickenvoicesin my head

EvilChief
The Evil One
Posted:Mar 27 2003, 05:09 PM
i owe an ex cop car too ... but mine is prett stocko, chip is removed, but it seems it has some go ... (compared to other stocko falcons)

--------------------

Rodhog
Posted:Mar 28 2003, 10:20 PM
The VL's are one of the most interesting
cop cars
the turbo SL had drums rear but turbo calipers up front just like the normal turbo SL or not Holden don't have much to say about it but Most I have seen have had alot of mix from bigger exhuast from factory with 2 mufflers and cat at aroudn 3 inch in size press bent, LSD's were comon.
In fact I found a original victorian VL Turbo which had some real interesting things like calais features but SL trim but berlina stereo setup. It last from 1988jan to march where it was repaired ( bullet hole in right door /door replaced but owner former Police officer has the door -long sotry) But yep this car wa very usual but msot of all was the HDT water to air intercooler which I was shocked and let me say I have only seen on other car have this setup was a very rare peter brock special.
On the papers the owner showed me it noted PB extra. Not only that the car was blue.
From what the owner said is it was ordered as a
highway patrol UC car but soem how was listed for
Commanding officer use ?
Owner had no comment on that?

One thing that I might not be surpries that might be going on form VX2 but I ahve no prove is Holden by desgin extras

Normally you cna order the cold air intake eaxhuast on the GEN3 and it gives up to 275Kw there are a few other things but it's factory option.
The use of this by the police would not surprise me.
But then agian I doubt it as with the MOney book guys running the police budget cost has to be keep down.

--------------------
Winning is Winning
Fair or not
Perform on the Day
It's wasn't Me

RODHOG PROFILE

mx68u
Admin
Posted:Apr 20 2003, 05:14 PM
QUOTE (timtx5 @ Mar 27 2003, 09:05 AM)
There is some bloke up here that has an ex-police TX5 turbo of all things. Says the ECU is slightly different apparently, but I dont really know much detail. Will have to ask him if I see him around sometime. Works for Queensland transport.

lol tim.. now that is surprising!

So the new generation of marked police cars are pretty much standard with the exception of some post-factory manufacture options, damn they should find it tough wrestling one of those floating things to just manage to keep up with a standard rex shifty.gif

any chance that you might see a cop in something a little more exotic than a SS VX commo? any1 came across anything interesting?

Rodhog
Posted:Apr 20 2003, 05:57 PM
Actualy don't knock any of the Ba or VY's SS XR
In fact the new XR6 turbo Highway patrol has the extra enhnaced brembo brakes
I saw one 4 days ago, the rear sway bar looked thicker but As found out it's not.
I was comparing turbo to Non-turbo but I still thought they were the same

In fact after seeing the capabilities of a VY executive I have to say it will easily keep up with a REx if it just had a little more power.
Even in the dry the Traction control works very well and even with out in the wet you cna really give it to the holden and it keeps very good ride with out upseting the passengers
Better then any REX
Plus they are quick 15's easy for both might be High but VY exec and XT BA easy 15's I have seen just easy and auto's

--------------------
Winning is Winning
Fair or not
Perform on the Day
It's wasn't Me

RODHOG PROFILE

mx68u
Admin
Posted:Apr 20 2003, 06:59 PM
maybe they have really upgraded the handling characteristics of the commodore, when i use to take out the VT commodores out for a thrash i found them incredibly unstable compared to a WRX around corners and such, so much body roll and easy to oversteer. Unless they have really played around with the suspension and whacked on some form of forced induction i dont see the stand falcadores getting anywhere near close icon4.gif

Rollin_AE102
Occasional Poster
Member No.: 636
Posted:Feb 8 2004, 12:15 PM
I know you guys are thinkin hey he lives in darwin what teh hell would he know???

Well when i was growin up in newcastle me old man had a heap of highway patrol mates.... The highway patrol carsa are chipped straight out... any other mods like exhaust intake etc is preference but, like all good piggy's do once the car is finished and being sold off the chips are removed.... who wants a fairly high output un governed ss in the hand of some 17 kid???

NSW cops are a funny bunch (spose really they all are) , trialling v8 supercar running gear in their VR/VS (was lucky enough to be taken for a drive) chippin an cammin some cars for the newcastle - sydney stretch of road, buyin wrx's and stuff to keep up when they first were being modded buy young hoons....

Guess ultimately you'll find basic generic mods to cop cars all over the place i know up here we have two ss highway patroll cars quite capable of pushing the envelope beyond 300km/h if need be....

Spose u could say a cop car is a sleeper!!!!!

--------------------
"Its your left foot DUNDERCLUMPER"

Fake_xu1
GMHOONS
Member No.: 138
Posted:Feb 8 2004, 12:46 PM
While in Sydney i saw a Cooper s cop car!!!! rolleyes.gif anyone know the deal with that!?

--------------------
28 days... 6 hours... 42 minutes... 12 seconds

Rodhog
Posted:Feb 8 2004, 11:03 PM
Yeah copper S is a promo stlye city car.

They use to use them in the 60's especialy in old england because in the city streets they were hard to get hold of.

but They are just a bit of a promo car used in the City by the HQ in the City. not much more, they are too expensive to crash.

They do crash them alot. Totally stock just like the rest of them.

I'm waiting for thme ot hit the 40,000km's mark to see what they go for at the auctions.

--------------------
Winning is Winning
Fair or not
Perform on the Day
It's wasn't Me

RODHOG PROFILE

test
Member No.: 383
Posted:Feb 14 2004, 04:15 PM
yeah i was looking at one of the new cooper s the other day.. was surprised at how large they made them, the wheel base seems to be heaps larger as well.. not to mention the additional weight.. not sure there is much of the cooper s left in the to be honest... but i havet driven one so who knows...

Guess ultimately you'll find basic generic mods to cop cars all over the place i know up here we have two ss highway patroll cars quite capable of pushing the envelope beyond 300km/h if need be....

i hear you.. i've seen recently some cop cars absolutely launching... dont look anything like stock.. and with the xr6 turbo's out now i think that a lil tweaking will be very feasible....

i think i better get myself to a track day soon, those cops can really handle their cars quite well

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
19 replies since Mar 25 2003, 01:36 PM
Pages: (2) [1] 2 
<< Back to General Discussion