302 Te Cortina Conversion
EvilChief
The Evil One
Group: ATFC Moderator
Member No.: 146
Car Profile: Available
Posted:May 14 2003, 04:16 AM
1tina:
ok guys, its time to get serious now, I want to convert my 4cyl TE Cortina to a 302 (or larger), what mods have to be done, and where is the best place to start?

V8 Wagon:
IMHO if your going to make a seriously fast cortina there are a few basic things that should be done:

1 Chassis strengthening:
plate the chassis rails and strengthen the upper trailing arm mounting points.

2 Upgrade the Brakes
The rodshop kit is fairly straight forward

3. Upgrade the diff
Many options here depending on budget and preference

4. Bigger Wheels

The best place to start: research all of your options, decide exactly how much your willing to spend and what you want to do. Then get all the bits you need and make them fit.
If I was to do it again I would look very seriously into the newer fuel injected engines, you might find that a good motor and wiring harness is comparable in price to working an older motor. Also, depending on your taste a good turbo six will go just as hard if not harder than an eight and will be alot more streetable. I would keep an eye on the trading post and the auctions to see whats available and what it's worth.
And then, once you've got a plan, start handing the cash over, as it won't be cheap

1tina:
hrmmm, thanks for the info, but I dont know if u know, I am only after a NA 6, and I also want to convert the 4 to a V8 once this 6 is finished, so yeah, I want 2 cortys that go hard, both for car shows and driving events.

V8 Wagon:
sorry let me reword that:
I would love to see someone drop one of the new XR8 motors into a corty: Tickford-enhanced, stroked 5.6-litre Windsor V8, pumping out 250kW of power and about 500Nm of torque".

http://www.geocities.com/r112_uk/tickford.html

If it's a long term project, at this stage I would keep an ear to the ground for written off XR8's.

BTW your already off to a good start: the 4cylinder bodies are better for V8 conversions as the gearbox crossmember mounts line up very nicely with a C4.

1tina:
ok, that might be something to think about, I'll have to keep an eye (or en ear) out for an XR8, and yeah, itis a very long term project, lokking at about 10 years at the moment.

1 toxic 302:
if you find one writen off buy the whole car as youl need alot of the parts to keep the engineers happy
only milk and juice come in two liters

1tina:
Thanks for the tip Toxic, but I have been thinking about it today, and realised that I know nothing about efi motors, so I might actually go 350 or 351, will have to see how things pan out over the next couple of years as to which way I decide to go.
Thanks to all for all the tips.

tinav8:
Castlemaine Rod Shop make everything you need for the conversion. Have a look at their website: www.rodshop.com.au .That is where I bought all the bits for my conversion. Kit includes: chassis strengtheners (for 4 cyl bodies); gearbox crossmember; engine mounts; (sump; extractors; short water pump and tailshaft loop you have to buy seperate). That's all you need apart from the engine. Expect to break diffs if you go too wild with the 302/351 windsor or cleveland (I did). They're brake kit (5 stud falcon pattern comes in handy too) but is not essential. I would recommend a 3 core radiator aswell for burnouts.
I have a feeling the 5.6 litre windsor would be too tall for the engine bay as the EFI on the Mustang 5.0 only just fits under the stock bonnet.
Make sure that if you're talking to the guys there you tell them whether you have a 4 or a 6 cyl body.

eruptioncomp:
I'd just love to get ahold of a V8 engineered Cortina rolling shell here in Vic.

I have a nice 300kw 351 Cleveland that would make driving fun

1 toxic 302:
that does sound like fun

--------------------
WHOHOO ... got my opens today ... as much as it would matter to me anyway
... and 96 in the ash tray!

SVOclevo383
Unregistered
Posted:Jan 4 2004, 07:22 PM
I have a 302 clevo stroked 383 being built atm that will pump out 600+ ponies, i wanna put it in to something light, my question is can u legaly register a te cortina with a 302c in it in queensland?

Stopma TE
Unregistered
Posted:Jan 7 2004, 07:18 PM
Hey, I'm lookin to build up a streetable TE cortina over the next few years, i'm thinking about a 302 or 351 cleavland with a toploader box and a 9" diff. if anyone has any ideas please tell me.

EVL-FORD
ATFC Member
Group: ATFC Member
Member No.: 231
Posted:Jan 14 2004, 02:14 AM
302 is legal, 351 is not apparently. You will need to strengthen the chassis, upgrade the brakes, upgrade the diff (shortened 9 inch should be fine).

Only problem is getting traction. Nothing wrong with making the insides of a 302 into a 351 either. still is a 302 engine in their eyes.

As V8 Wagon had said, it all depends on how much you're willing to spend.

--------------------
EA Falcon, 4.0L OHC, 5 Speed...

brisbane 351 TE
Unregistered
Posted:Jan 24 2004, 12:19 PM
you can register a te cortina with 351 in qld, i am currently building up a 351 windsor to go into my te.......
for more info email :dte666@hotmail.com
with v8 cortina as subject...

RoadRunner
Member No.: 224
Posted:Jan 25 2004, 10:54 AM
Maximun engine size in Cortina 6cyl shell is 358cui (bored 351)......Maximum engine capacity is determined by the weight of the vehicle.

RoadRunner

May your Ford alway run hard and fast
Amen

This post has been edited by RoadRunner on Jan 25 2004, 10:55 AM

JeSteR
Unregistered
Posted:Jan 27 2004, 08:01 PM
Hey fellas.. I have a fair tuff 73 TC corty. Its got a 200 pre xflow, with 250 2V head, crow cam, extractors, toploader... etc etc etc... It goes pretty hard and looks tuff as FUCK!! I want more power! I want a V8 in it... and i NEED to kill V8 toranas!! I have a 289 windsor sitting there and wanting to be put in.. plenty of work needed to be competitive, but its a stock engine.. Not bored out.. So its got potential.. Anyone know anything about fuel injection for a 289 windsor?? And any info on brake upgrades...? I have Dragway PROs on it now, custom made for the cortina stud pattern.. So i dont want to change the mags... But i know the corty brakes are fucken useless! If i cant find out any info soon im gonna sell the corty.. please email me if you can help or are interested in a sick cortina. jljm666@hotmail.com

drifta
Unregistered
Posted:Jan 27 2004, 08:06 PM
any one know a good cheap lsd conversion for a TE Corty. i heared something an XF LSD fitting in the corty housing. is this correct

RoadRunner
Member No.: 224
Posted:Jan 29 2004, 08:37 AM
Hi Jester......Brake upgrade for Cortina usually involves the use of Falcon components and changes the stud pattern to 5 stud falcon. Corty brakes are useless.....Falcon 4 wheel discs make a huge difference.

EFI 5.0 (302W) parts will fit the 289 engine, not recommended you bore the engine unless it needs it. Make the power from the camshaft and the way the head is ported.

Have alook at the Castlemaine Rod Shop for conversion parts to fit the V8 and Brakes.

Hey drifta......not sure about the diff conversion hey, the housings look the same......but I have a disc brake LSD from XF wagon here and am gunna try to fit the LSD centre to a corty housing.......I'll post how it goes.

Mark
May your Ford always run hard and fast
Amen

This post has been edited by RoadRunner on Jan 29 2004, 08:38 AM

kasey
Unregistered
Posted:Feb 10 2004, 06:54 PM
All i gotta say to all you males out there is FORDS RULE FOREVER!!! n my favourite has to be the Cortina. Make sure you keep da muscle in your car babe xoxox thats all that matters:yay:

DJrugrats
Unregistered
Posted:Feb 16 2004, 07:52 AM
Does anyone know where i could find the information I need, to put a 302 v8 into my 1972 ford courier pickup

Guest_Dave
Unregistered
Posted:Jun 30 2004, 03:44 PM
QUOTE (EvilChief @ May 14 2003, 04:16 AM)
1tina:
ok guys, its time to get serious now, I want to convert my 4cyl TE Cortina to a 302 (or larger), what mods have to be done, and where is the best place to start?

V8 Wagon:
IMHO if your going to make a seriously fast cortina there are a few basic things that should be done:

1 Chassis strengthening:

2 Upgrade the Brakes

3. Upgrade the diff

4. Bigger Wheels

The best place to start: research all of your options, decide exactly how much your willing to spend and what you want to do. Then get all the bits you need and make them fit.
If I was to do it again I would look very seriously into the newer fuel injected engines, you might find that a good motor and wiring harness is comparable in price to working an older motor. Also, depending on your taste a good turbo six will go just as hard if not harder than an eight and will be alot more streetable. I would keep an eye on the trading post and the auctions to see whats available and what it's worth.
And then, once you've got a plan, start handing the cash over, as it won't be cheap

1tina:
hrmmm, thanks for the info, but I dont know if u know, I am only after a NA 6, and I also want to convert the 4 to a V8 once this 6 is finished, so yeah, I want 2 cortys that go hard, both for car shows and driving events.

V8 Wagon:
I would love to see someone drop one of the new XR8 motors into a corty: Tickford-enhanced, stroked 5.6-litre Windsor V8, pumping out 250kW of power and about 500Nm of torque".

If it's a long term project, at this stage I would keep an ear to the ground for written off XR8's.

BTW your already off to a good start: the 4cylinder bodies are better for V8 conversions as the gearbox crossmember mounts line up very nicely with a C4.

1tina:
ok, that might be something to think about, I'll have to keep an eye (or en ear) out for an XR8, and yeah, itis a very long term project, lokking at about 10 years at the moment.

1 toxic 302:
if you find one writen off buy the whole car as youl need alot of the parts to keep the engineers happy

1tina:
Thanks for the tip Toxic, but I have been thinking about it today, and realised that I know nothing about efi motors, so I might actually go 350 or 351, will have to see how things pan out over the next couple of years as to which way I decide to go.

tinav8:
Castlemaine Rod Shop make everything you need for the conversion. Have a look at their website: www.rodshop.com.au .That is where I bought all the bits for my conversion. Kit includes: chassis strengtheners (for 4 cyl bodies); gearbox crossmember; engine mounts; (sump; extractors; short water pump and tailshaft loop you have to buy seperate). That's all you need apart from the engine. Expect to break diffs if you go too wild with the 302/351 windsor or cleveland (I did). They're brake kit (5 stud falcon pattern comes in handy too) but is not essential. I would recommend a 3 core radiator aswell for burnouts.
I have a feeling the 5.6 litre windsor would be too tall for the engine bay as the EFI on the Mustang 5.0 only just fits under the stock bonnet.
Make sure that if you're talking to the guys there you tell them whether you have a 4 or a 6 cyl body.

eruptioncomp:
I'd just love to get ahold of a V8 engineered Cortina rolling shell here in Vic.

1 toxic 302:
that does sound like fun

looking for a 302 engine to put in a cortina. ive been searching everywhere cant find anything good in Vic

Unregistered
Posted:Jul 4 2004, 02:36 PM
QUOTE (EvilChief @ May 14 2003, 04:16 AM)
1tina:

V8 Wagon:

1 Chassis strengthening:

2 Upgrade the Brakes

3. Upgrade the diff

4. Bigger Wheels

1tina:

V8 Wagon:

1tina:

1 toxic 302:

1tina:

tinav8:

eruptioncomp:

1 toxic 302:
that does sound like fun

hey guys how hard is to shovel a 351 clevo into a td corty? we have a top loader,&a converted 9" for iti know ya can get the gear from the rod shop, but wondered how the clevo & toploader fit?
ok thanks guys

tezza
Unregistered
Posted:Jul 4 2004, 02:38 PM
how hard is it to graft a clevo(351) and top loader nto a td corty?

jarrred te 79
Unregistered
Posted:May 19 2005, 11:33 PM
hey guys i'm a mechanic and am doing up a te cortina. putting a 303 winsor in it. i live in queensland so i will get the conversion kit sent up. however i also know that turbo or superchargged 250 enguines go harder than a stock v8 as there is only a 40 or so hp gap between the 6 and 8. a turbo would easily kill comodore 5l v8's hoowever i figured that by fully rebuilding a 302 windsor using performane parts should see the enguine putting out around 400 horsies easily. at the moment i only have troubles finding a 9 inch lock diff and hhousing and a gear box pref manual and am not shure what drive shaft to use, ne suggestions guys? could u send to i_stuck_myy_finger_in_the_floppy_drive@hotmail.com

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
14 replies since May 14 2003, 04:16 AM

<< Back to Ford Tech Centre