Mp3 Car Stereo's, wouldnt one be nice?
mx68u
Admin
Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Car Profile: Available
Posted:Jan 18 2003, 01:51 AM
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if any1 has an MP3 CD Headunit in their car, i've been thinking of getting one but have been holding off till the prices came down. It looks like now is the time, i went to strathfield car audio the other day and they had quite a few to choose from under $400, great stuff!!!

from memory these were the options, feel free to correct me if anything sounds odd or wrong...

BOSS MP3 CD Player (Flip down) $269 blink.gif

AKAI MP3 CD Head Unit (Flip down) $349

SANSUI MP3 Head Unit $350?

also heard very very good things about a JVC item, unfortunately strathfield dont stock them, ill try MLC, i think they are priced around $350 as well and heard that the sound quality is actually better than the much more expensive kenwood version.

So has any1 had any experience with any of the above units, not sure on the model numbers but you should have an idea by the price. So far its between the AKAI and BOSS, just not sure about BOSS brand, its a bit of a cheapie and havent heard anything about there products...

2Norti
Group: Members
Member No.: 103
Posted:Jan 21 2003, 12:17 PM
i have one...

its a big head unit but then again its got the kitkatnkaboodle on it
i cant remember wat brand it is n car is too far away to walk to

i like it cause u can have decent moosic from ur MP3 as well as ur general cd player n mini screen

they can be costly though

but thats wat bdays r for smile.gif

2Rusty
Occasional Poster
Member No.: 114
Posted:Jan 22 2003, 03:56 AM
I just picked up a new Alpine MP3 head unit. I love it. I discovered shortly afterward that I have to upgrade my CD burner software to record MP3 format. mad.gif

--------------------
1992 MX-6 GT turbo

mx68u
Admin
Posted:Jan 22 2003, 05:20 PM
Thanks Guys,

2Rusty, how much did the alpine mp3 set you back, i pressume its much more expensive than the ones in my first post, did you consider any other mp3 players, heard anything about the JVC? if so why did you decide on the alpine... besides the fact that they are amongst the best head units in the world smile.gif

as far as buring software is concern you should be right with your standard one, the software should be capable of burning data and thats all mp3's are, you must be thinking of converting your mp3's to wavs so that any cd player can play them... thats not required with an mp3 player wink.gif just burn all your mp3z on a cd just like you would say your word files or zip files or any data file and is should work smile.gif

2Rusty
Occasional Poster
Member No.: 114
Posted:Jan 23 2003, 02:52 AM
Ooh perhaps the Alpine is a bit more if your prices were Aus. I paid $300 US for it. I really didn't explore other MP3 makers because I've had Alpine forever and I trust them.

My files are MP3 format and I can record 80 minutes of music fine but my software won't let me record them compressed. It has an option for MP3 in the pull down but it's greyed out and says I need to upgrade. Perhaps you are right and I'm OK. I was under the impression that I could make compressed discs and have CDs with many hours of music on them.

--------------------
1992 MX-6 GT turbo

mx68u
Admin
Posted:Jan 23 2003, 07:31 AM
yeah rusty.. thats around about 500 clams over here ohmy.gif too much for me.. that cheap BOSS unit would be around $120 US.. pretty damn cheap eh

you should be able to find a full version of roxio or nero on kazaa somewhere wink.gif

Droopz90IROC
Forum Junkie
Group: Moderators
Member No.: 108
Posted:Jan 23 2003, 11:23 PM
i had a top of the line JVC Mp3 player with full liquid style multi coloured display. they whole works...

got flogged last time my car got smashed up. Not happy. Good news is cause it was so expensive there was only one other like it in darwin. And i have just heard of a unemployed individual who as suddenly managed to get one.... funny that. mad.gif

--------------------
user posted image
If bottles are for babies... How come your the one crying?
Check out my N2O fed Camaro IROC!!

Peaknhard
Civic Type-R
Group: Banned
Member No.: 6
Posted:Jan 24 2003, 05:50 PM
frank mlc got bought out by strathfield car radio.

Droopz90IROC can i come over with you to pay him a visit(take out my anger on him)..some basturds got hold of my car last night and it came of second best aswell, good thing i keep my stereo face on me at all times so they didnt bother with it

--------------------
"Peaknhard Bro, PEAKnhard"

mx68u
Admin
  Posted:Mar 6 2003, 05:28 AM
not to worry droopz, they have JVC 984 (i think thats the number anywayz) going from $300 here in sydney which seem like pretty decent stereos.. after all the research ive done i've came to the conclusion that the JVC mp3 head units are definately the best value around, everyone i've spoken to about them both on the net and irl are very very happy with the sound and build quality and @ 300 or so dollar it seems like a bargin!

also hase front, rear and subwoofer line out which is exactly what im after so i can finally hook up my kicker splits that i bought.. what 2 years ago dry.gif

FRaNKs
Member No.: 15
Posted:Mar 6 2003, 06:33 PM
one of my mates got the jvc mp3 dunno what one though it was bout 400 and hes really happy with it

--------------------
Keep Australia Boosting!

mx68u
Admin
Posted:Mar 6 2003, 06:47 PM
yeah for 400 he might of got the 900 series if not the 600... basically they are the same cept the 900 has output for front as well... and a few other lil features plus different display.. but basically they are the same smile.gif

CardinalBiggles
Member No.: 717
Posted:May 2 2004, 02:14 PM
I'm about to embark on a journey of upgrading the audio in my MX6. I think I've fallen in love with this head: http://www.jvc-australia.com/products/_pro...pup.asp?ID=1268

Doing a bit of footwork, JB Hi-Fi deal in JVC gear and do some decent prices - with a bit more badgering and bargaining I should be able to get this one for a couple hundred off rec retail. Yes yes, I know at $999 RRP I have ludicrously expensive taste! It's just a very sexy unit. I *was* tossing up over whether to get a JVC Chameleon - I want as much black as possible to go with the MX6's dash - but I thought it had too many moving parts.

I know a few MX6'ers who have JVC heads and they're very nice to use and they sound great. This one's got a nice, clean feel with a touch screen interface and buttons. I find most other heads, like the Alpines, a little over the top for my tastes. Too many blinking lights for a '90s car without much fancy pants instrumentation. Also I'm a bit of a nerdette so I'm looking forward to prepping my discs with piccies for the face biggrin.gif

I'm undecided about what speakers & subbie to use at this stage, but I know I need replacement speakers throughout and upgraded, active splits for the doors & dash. Should be educational, expensive but fun.

Fro-Daddy
Member No.: 1420
Posted:Jun 9 2004, 07:47 AM
ive got a pioneer DEHP3550MP h/u in my car...50x4 mosfet and mp3 playback...picked it up for $294 and then $88 to install or summin...very good and powerful h/u, my mate liked it so much he went bought one the next day...

pioneer now do loads of mp3 h/u's, also with wma playback...check out there site, pioneeraus.com or something...go googling

chow for now

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
14 replies since Jan 18 2003, 01:51 AM

<< Back to Car Audio and Electricals