Td Crossflow Conversion, projects, projects
EvilChief
The Evil One
Group: ATFC Moderator
Member No.: 146
Car Profile: Available
Posted:May 14 2003, 04:00 AM
cbb01:
what is the best way to convert 4cyl td wagon to 250crossflow with four speed single rail.
engine side of it ok! gearbox crossmember doesn't bolt on, the gearbox sits back about 2 inches. we have modified the 4cyl and 6cyl crossmember to suit. is the only way to do it properly be welding in the mounts off a 6 cyl body?
any help appreciated
thanks

SikXC:
I can't give u any help but u may want to check out www.rodshop.com.au as they do conversion kits for most cortina's.

V8 Wagon:
theres two options:
1. as you said cut the mounts out of a six cylinder and weld them in
2. make up a U shaped crossmember and a tailshaft loop and bolt them in.
either way you should get it engineer approved and a mod plate.

If your around the brissie area I have a spare cross member that will bolt straight in...

tinav8:
Definately check with Main Roads in your state before modifying any vehicle with an engine other than a manufacturers optional engine. It would be a shame to spend the dollars and not be able to drive it. Things they will look for are: front suspension change from 4cyl to 6cyl; diff ratio - 4cyl to 6 cyl (4cyl diffs are way too short for a 6cyl); they will also check that crossmember - it's best to get one that has already passed engineering requirements; from all the info I can find the brakes between 4cyl and 6 cyl where the same (but I'm not 100% sure); radiator will have to be changed aswell. I am pretty sure that the front chassis rails are heavier on a 6cyl TD aswell (Rod Shop has a strengthening kit). But like I said at the start check with main roads for what they require first as a crossflow was not a manufacturers option. They may have other things that you need to do that I didn't list for you to get the "Mod Plate".

Good luck with the conversion

Post your results so others can see also what needs to be done to make it legal.

Cheers

Mark (XFCortinaV

There's no sweeter sound than that of a Ford piston going up and down.

--------------------
WHOHOO ... got my opens today ... as much as it would matter to me anyway
... and 96 in the ash tray!

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
2 replies since May 14 2003, 04:00 AM

<< Back to Ford Tech Centre