Port Or Not To Port, sub questions
mx68u
Admin
Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
Car Profile: Available
Posted:May 28 2003, 10:40 AM
Hey Guys,

A while back i decided to beef up my system by adding a 12inch sub to my system, being the naieve idiot i was i believed that the hot 4's and performance cars review on 12inch subbies was accurate and decided on the Kicker VRCOMP 12 (cd12 or something?). Anywayz, i was after a sub that was firstly clear and secondly pretty loud, i could of just got a 15 but from what i've heard 15inch subs bass is somewhat muddier than 12inch.. but thats just probably the setups i've heard

Anywayz.. when i went off to doran pro audio i said i was after a sub with nice clear bass but also something fairly powerful, they suggested the JL audio but not believing them (stereotyping ) i decided to stick with the hot4s recommendation.

The fabricated a "Computer designed" box and i was set, looking all nice and fancy with its carpet and $380 lighter in the hip pocket i threw it in the boot and hooked the thing up... Now the bass is great but its somewhat fartish if you know what i mean.. not exactly the clarity i was after... the box isnt ported and i think i heard porting it will increase clarity but reduce spl output (dont care about that really ), so what do you guys reckon ?

The sub is powered by a 4 x 100w schnieder amp (2 channels bridged into one, other 2 powering 6x9s). Also is there any difference on where i put the actual port hole if its worth doing?

Rodhog
Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19
Posted:May 30 2003, 09:48 PM
I know what you mena by Doran but I hate to say that they kno what they are doing.

the reason they are so good is they only sell combo's that work.

did my mates car and as I know a person at the Bankstown muflfler Fit next door, I can tell you they buy bulk what works sell it and most people dont' complain.

I don't know about the computer box desgin thing. I have always said box desgin has shit all to do with it

It's abotu volume and porting. If you are to port start reasonable ( not to big then whe nyou find the right length try the right size to eliminate any chuffling or the rush sound in side the poorts. I use to go too big it made them clear but also less thump.

What's the rating or both.

I have always gone for more power full amp ( rate then sub or speaker ) I find this not only give clarity as the amp is not working as hard but supplys the speaker with distortion free sound.
Just makign usre I only control the volume to not blow my speakers

--------------------
Winning is Winning
Fair or not
Perform on the Day
It's wasn't Me

RODHOG PROFILE

mx68u
Admin
Posted:May 31 2003, 04:06 PM
yeah rod i agree.. i suspect the amp on only two channels is not enough to power the sub to its full potential.. after all its only a 400w and the sub is something crazy... cant remember but its probably around 500w's or so.. its suppose to be a competition series sub...

i will try to bridge all four channels of the 400w amp into the sub and see if there is any difference in the clarity of the sub... atm on the 2 bridged channels i have the gains 3 quarters of the way up.. i suspect a lil too high...

actually believe it or not rod im regreting in something bad that i didnt listen to there advice.. im sure the JL audio sub would of sounded great with my setup.. i've heard them in other cars and have been pretty impressed, would of cost me about half the price too...

Rodhog
Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19
Posted:Jun 1 2003, 06:19 PM
Well all I can say is to find a Two channel AMP, I find Two channel Amps bridged Mono for sub use the best.
When I had two of the 100X2 Jaycar amps all 4 channels power 200WRMS 12 inch's so each of the 4 had about 90Wrms, then when I ran bridged into 2 12's ( The other two were removed and given to the owner)
They sounded just as loud as the 4 but alot clearer. I did run the whole setup at one time in a Series paralle set-up, that cost me 3 rear light goldes (* they jsut blew ) Once I removed the 4 subs I never replaced a globe again.

Don't worry too much about where levels are on amps it's all about creating good clear sound.
I always run my setups both deck and amps below any distortion.

Don't forget to check your cross over levels as well.
I have personal set rule of 10inch =120HZ lower 12 inch=80-100HZ lower and 15-18 inch 80HZ lower Actually last time I saw a 18inch double magnet sub it was set to 65HZ and below and I have to tell you I was not surprised to hear it blow out it's rear windscreen

--------------------
Winning is Winning
Fair or not
Perform on the Day
It's wasn't Me

RODHOG PROFILE

mx68u
Admin
Posted:Jun 7 2003, 06:36 PM
hmmm yeah i will need another amp definately to run some kicker splits im going to install... so i might use the 4 channel schnider to run rear 6x9's and front splits and get a dedicated amp for the sub like you suggested biggrin.gif

will check out those crossover settings and see what the story is..

NVD05X
Group: Members
Member No.: 1596
Posted:Jun 12 2004, 06:21 PM
i couldnt be bothered reading all the reply's but ill add my 2c any way...

everything you've wrote about porting is wrong.

you will gain spl and lose sound quality...

from experience shneider amps dont have much power...

also from experience doran is one of the better audio places around...

--------------------
'91 AE92 4AGTE SX HATCH

145.3KW ATW @6500RPM ON 15PSI

cheers,
Dave

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
7 replies since May 28 2003, 10:40 AM

<< Back to Car Audio and Electricals