Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Just Bought 87' Gsr Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo
f0rsnu
Group: Members
Member No.: 3241
Posted:Jun 2 2005, 10:58 PM
Ey guys,
im new to this forum so please bear with me.

I recently purchased an 87' GSR Mitsubishi Cordia turbo from a friend,
it is running nicely however i would like to improve on the performance.

Just out of curiosity, when selecting a waste gate, what do i need to take into consideration? will any waste gate adapt to my system? what imrpovments will it make?

Skena
Group: Members
Member No.: 2499
Car Profile: Available
Posted:Jun 3 2005, 06:13 PM
Internally:
You can fit a stiffer spring into the wastegate, which will increase the amount of pressure your turbo will make. You can also modify the wastgate further by opening up the wastgate port a little bit with a die grinder, and fit a new plate (you can usually get an exhaust shop to make this for you reasonably cheaply) Please please please note that if you use a die grinder on the port, take every possible step to prevent and also to clean out any filings from grinding, as they will kill you turbo quicker than you would beleive.

Externally:
But to answer your question, when selecting a wasgate, you need to be realistic, there is no point in fitting a wastegate spring that doesn't open till 18psi on your dead stock turbo and motor. As for adapting, your are best off keeping the wastegate "in the family" ie. garrett wastegate from a larger spec turbo, to fit to a smaller model garret turbo.

I not too good with this stuff entirely off my head, but if you could source a wastegate off an evo or jap gsr spec lancer, this would be a step in the right direction (i think it is a TD07 turbo, as your car has a TD06) <- Don't hold me to that.

Also, if you choose to change your wastegate, invest in getting a wastegate controller, like a turbosmart 2 stage mechanical boost controller. this way you can have a conservative setting for everyday driving (thanks to lovely petrol prices) and a higher level for the all important traffic light grand prix. I hope this has given you a little bit of help.

--------------------
Bullshitters can take a walk, let your car do the talking, not your mouth.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
3 replies since Jun 2 2005, 10:58 PM

<< Back to General Discussion